The boundless forest sheds its leaves shower by shower;
The endless river rolls its waves hour after hour.
So dim, so dark,
So dense, so dull,
So damp, so dank,
A fall into the pit, a gain in your wit.
The painted screen is chilled in silver candlelight, she uses silken fan to catch passing fireflies.
A drizzling rain falls like tears on the Mourning Day;
The mourner’s heart is going to break on his way.
Where can a wine shop be found to drown his sad hours?
A cowherd points to a cot’mid a picot flowers.
By riverside a pair
Of turtledoves are cooing；
There's a good maiden fair
Whom a young man is wooing.
1. Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.
2. Able was I ere I saw Elba.
3. A government of the people, by the people, for the people.
4. In me the tiger sniffs the rose.
5. I hate people who talk about themselves, as you do, when one wants to talk about oneself, as I do.
6. Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.
7. Some fishing boats were becalmed lust in front of us. Their shadows slept，or almostslept, upon the water， a gentle quivering alone showing that it was not complete sleep， or ifsleep， that it was sleep with dreams.